- Serves 4
Braised lamb shanks with pearl cous cous and peas
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place a large, heavy based casserole over a moderately high heat. Brush the shanks with olive oil and cook for 8 minutes or until coloured all over.
- Transfer the shanks to a plate and add the onions to the casserole. Cook for 2 minutes or until coloured then add the shanks back in with the wine and stock. Bring up to the boil, cover and place in the oven for 2 ¼ hours or until very tender.
- Add the cous cous, making sure it is all immersed in the liquid. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, adding the peas for the last few minutes.
- Stir in the lemon zest and mint. Season with salt and pepper and add lemon juice to taste. Serve with a side dish of dressed baby kale leaves.
- For a gluten free option you could substitute the cous cous with cooked beans or lentils.
- For a savoury hit, try sprinkling the cooked cous cous with some grated pecorino or parmesan cheese.
*Pearl cous cous, or Israeli cous cous are small, round pasta balls, much bigger than regular cous cous. It is available from supermarkets or delicatessens.