- Serves 6
Lamb shank and mushroom Ragu
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Season lamb shanks and cook, turning occasionally, for 5-7 mins or until browned all over. Transfer to a large bowl. Add mushrooms to same pan. Cook for 5 mins or until tender. Transfer to bowl with lamb.
- Add garlic, onion, carrot and celery to pan, adding a little extra oil, if necessary. Cook for 5 mins or until onion softens. Return lamb, mushrooms and any juices to pan. Add passata, stock, thyme, rosemary. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 2-2 ¼ hours or until lamb is falling off the bone, turning shanks occasionally. Use tongs to transfer lamb to a heatproof bowl and coarsely shred lamb using 2 forks. Discard bones. Return lamb to tomato mixture. Stir through kale. Season. Remove thyme stalks.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain well.
- Divide pasta and lamb ragu among serving bowls. Top with parmesan and basil leaves. Serve with baby rocket and lemon wedges.
- Slow cooker option - Follow instructions in recipe to the point where you return lamb, mushrooms and juices to the pan. Instead add all ingredients to slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 7 hours, until lamb is very tender.
- Serve leftover ragu with polenta, quinoa or cous cous and your choice of vegetables.