- Serves 6
White sauce:Send me these ingredients
- Place eggplant slices in a colander and sprinkle with some salt. Set aside for 10 minutes. Rinse eggplant slices and pat dry with paper towel. Spray eggplant slices with oil. Heat a chargrill over high heat. Place on grill and cook 3-4 minutes on each side. Cook in batches until all eggplant is grilled. Set aside.
- Heat oil frying pan. Sauté onion and garlic on high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add mince and brown for 5-8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, wine, nutmeg and season to taste. Boil mixture and then allow to simmer for 30mins.
- Prepare the white sauce: melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Blend in milk until smooth. Return to heat and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before whisking in egg yolks.
- Arrange one third of the pre-grilled eggplant in the base of the dish. Spread half of the meat sauce over the eggplant. Repeat layers, finishing with eggplant. Pour white sauce over. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden. Serve with salad, lemon wedges and crusty bread.
- Cook the mince mixture a day ahead to allow the flavours to develop.
- Eggplant slices can be roasted ahead of time
- Traditionally Moussaka also contains potato slices.
- Traditionally the béchamel sauce has an egg whisked in, making the sauce a bit like a soufflé.
- Moussaka can be frozen.
- Check out Sam's youtube cooking demonstration here.